03 July 2014

Red, White, Kaboom! Blog Hop


Welcome to the Red, White, Kaboom! Blog Hop!  Happy 4th of July!  We hope you are having a great holiday and thanks for spending a little time with us today.  You should have come from Anne.  If not, go back and start the hop at Alicia's blog.  We hope you enjoy our creative efforts we have to share today.  Enjoy your holiday!

I've got two projects to show you today!  The first is my take on a project I saw on Pinterest.



The wreath I saw on Pinterest used white buttons on the blue yarn, but I wanted stars.  I was lucky enough to find a package of red, white, and blue glittered stars at Hobby Lobby, so I picked them up and used most of the white ones on this wreath.  I started by wrapping navy blue yarn around about a quarter of the styrofoam wreath.  Then, I measured around the outside of the rest of the wreath and divided it by thirteen, since I was going to do thirteen blocks to simulate the thirteen striped on the U.S. flag, and made a small indentation in the back of the styrofoam wreath for each section.  After that, I simply alternated wrapping the red and white yarn for each section and used my hot glue gun to adhere the yarn ends to the wreath.  I made sure to pull the yarn tight to get the exact look I wanted.  The stars are hot glued to the blue yarn, and to make the hanger, I simply cut a couple of pieces of red and white yarn, knotted them together at the end to form a loop, and stuck a stick pin through the knot and into the styrofoam.  It took me ALL DAY to wrap the yarn around the wreath, but I really LOVE the finished product!  PINTEREST SUCCESS!!!  I'm also going to enter this at Red Carpet Studio Challenge to create a patriotic themed project. 

My second project is a card I shared on my blog the other day but one I thought should be shared again today.


I originally completed this card for a couple of challenges in the Yahoo group Scrappin' 'n' Chattin'.  I used ZING embossing powder in white for the song words, and I really like the way it turned out on the navy blue cardstock; the faux stitching around the edges was done with a white gel pen.  The U.S. flag stamps is from the Made in the U.S.A. set from Technique Tuesday, and I used my ZIG Writer pens in Pure Red and Navy to color the flag, then I accented the tassel with gold Stickles.  I'm entering this in Art by Miran's Challenge #9 for Anything Goes.

Here's some blog candy from Alicia at Golden Goddess Designs for one lucky winner!


The rules:
Become a follower of every blog in the hop.
 Leave a comment on every blog in the hop.
Easy peasy!  Do this before midnight EST on Sunday, July 6 and Alicia will pick a winner using random.org from those that qualify.  Winner will be announced on Wednesday, July 9 on her blog.

Next up is Sarah!




Here's the entire list in case you get lost along the way:


Thanks for hopping with us today!


25 comments:

Golden Goddess Designs said...

fantastic projects! the wreath is great, actually looks absolutely perfect! and the card is wonderful! thanks so much for joining my hop! you are awesome!

Beth F. said...

You did a fabulous job on your wreath! Your card is very pretty too!
Beth
Beth's Beauties

Tina Campbell said...

What a fun decoration for your door and I agree that caard is perfect for today :)

Sarah Biswabic said...

I love your wreath! Your card is awesome! Happy 4th of July! Please Thank your husband for his service.

Unknown said...

I love your wreath - looks great on your front door!! Beautiful card too!! Happy 4th!! Thanks to you and your husband for his service :)

CADC Blog said...

Love the wreath! It turned out great and the card is lovely.

Unknown said...

love both of your projects! new follower as well =)

Melissa R. said...

Wow. The card is gorgeous

Sue's Paper Crafts said...

Two great project, love your wreath.

Sue
http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

Miranda said...

Ashley, your projects are AWESOME! Happy 4th of July! And I would like to say thanks to you and your family for serving our WONDERFUL country. Retired or not a thank you is warranted!

Barbara Greenberg said...

As you know I'm already a follower. I had seen this wreath on Pinterest too. So glad to see that you made it and it was a success. Love your patriotic card too. Great projects and thanks for sharing.

Iris said...

Love the wreath - striking and patriotic.
I follow you with bloglovin.
isoscia at aol dot com

Unknown said...

I love the wreath. I also saw it on pinterest. The stars are better.

Unknown said...

Love the wreath!! I will have to try this one since I am a military mama I have RWB everything!

Unknown said...

And thank you so very much for your families service and sacrifice!

Unknown said...

I am not sure my first post even went through. Will have to make this for my front door. As a military mom I am always up for new RWB crafts!

Joan Smith said...

First off love the name of your blog now I so love your wreath wow it's beautiful you did one super outstanding creative job and your card is so precious brought tears to my eye....you really are one talented gal who creates with passion have to say thank God for this hop or I would've never known about you. I subscribed. YOU ROCK!!

Sue D said...

FAbulous patriotic wreath and card!

Ruth G said...

Great job on the wreath! I think the stars are an awesome idea and it's wonderful that you have the correct number of stripes!
The card is wonderful! I love the gold embossing and the Stickled tassles as well as the coloring of the flag!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Vickie said...

Fantastic project on the wreath I love it.

Love the card.

Connie Can Crop said...

Gorgeous projects Ashley! I really love the wreath!! Love finding fun things to copy on pinterest too! Scrappy hugs, COnnie

Annie said...

I love this wreath I am so going to have to make something similar. Thanks for sharing it. You did a great job on it.

Joey said...

LOVE this wreath Ashley, such a fabulous make. Thanks for joining us at art by mi ran. Joey x

marg0006 said...

Great idea for home décor.

marg0006 at Verizon dot net

Cherished said...

Fabulous project. Thanks for playing at RCS.